The purpose of the College is to provide a learning model which will aid students in increasing their capacity for self-development and self-expression, and will facilitate their engagements in effective social action as members of the world community.
At Sojourner-Douglass College, we believe there are no sharp distinctions between living, learning, and working. Therefore, we approach the community as a learning laboratory where learning can be reconciled with action and study, a concept which reflects student growth through
social and academic utility.
Within the general goals of establishing an independent institution for historically by passed people, specific objectives have been designed to:
1. Assist community people in the development of skills and mind sets necessary to gain control over social, political, and economic forces which shape their lives;
2. Provide the climate and orientation necessary for applied research, leadership and community Read more… development;
3. Foster greater emphasis on self-fulfillment, self-renewal, personal liberty, self-awareness, self-learning, social justice, and self- determination;
4. Foster greater commitment to fundamental social change, diversity, and pluralism; and
5. Provide the student with the opportunity to improve the quality of life for him/herself and the community-at-large through the acquisition of knowledge, skills, resources and attitudes necessary for a variety of needs.
|Institution Type:||Private not-for-profit|
|Campus Setting:||Large city|
|Highest Degree Offered:||Master's|
|Level of Institution:||Four or more years|